There are cities in Malaga that lend themselves to enjoyment, pleasure and adventure. Antequera is one of them. Its monumental heritage, synthesis of the best Baroque, the perpetual aesthetics of the white villages, the Andalusian urbanism and the syncretism with Western culture make the city a mecca for the most demanding travelers.
Route first day:
Archaeological Site Los Dólmenes de Antequera – Plaza de Santiago and Parish Church of Santiago – Convent of Bethlehem – Church of San José – Discalced Convent Museum – Church of Carmen – Postigo de la Estrella – Roman Baths – Royal Collegiate Church of Santa María la Mayor – Monumental Enclosure of the Alcazaba – Michael Hoskin Viewpoint – Arch of the Giants – Mirador de las Almenillas – Church of Santa María de Jesús – Chapel Tribuna Vírgen del Socorro – Portichuelo and Collegiate Church of San Sebastian.
Museum of the City (MVCA) – House-Museum of the Colarte – MAD Antequera – Church of Ntra. Sra. de Loreto – Recoletas – Iglesia de San Agustín – Palacio Marqués de Villadarias – Convento de los Remedios – Ayuntamiento – Palacio o Casa Consistorial – Iglesia Ntra. Sra. de los Remedios – Casa de los Pardo – San Juan de Dios Church – Plaza de Toros and El Torcal de Antequera Natural Park.
The importance of this building lies in being the first to be conceived within the Renaissance style in Andalusia. It is truly an exceptional work for its proportions and quality of its design. In it, two different style criteria coexist; on the one hand we find elements that remind us of the late Gothic and on the other its traces and various decorative elements already correspond to the new style that emerged in Italy.
Important remains of the old Muslim fence of the town are preserved, next to the Plaza del Carmen, these are the tower of the Assault and the albarrana tower of the Star. The Albarrana de la Estrella tower is an autonomous tower attached to the fence by a semicircular arch, next to which a gap or shutter was opened after the conquest, in order to enter the enclosure. The Andalusian Arabic flavor of this corner is evocative of other times.
The Arch of the Giants located in Antequera (province of Malaga, Spain) is a construction made by municipal initiative in 1585 within the approaches of humanism, in order to replace a bend access of the Muslim fence wanting to evoke with its great semicircular span the triumphal arches of the classical world.
Located in the historic center of the city. The discovery of these baths is the first reliable proof of the location of the Roman city of Antikaria under the current urban center. The excavation work began in 1988, as a result of the earthworks prior to the urbanization of the site, and has been developed until 1991 by the Antequera Workshop School.
Baroque in style, it is the best of its kind of those that were built in Antequera. Palace ordered to be built by Don Francisco del Castillo y Fajardo, second Marquis of Villadarías, who among other titles had the title of Captain General of the Armies of His Majesty in Andalusia and Valencia.
Located in front of the Town Hall, this house that once belonged to the Pardo family, is one of the most beautiful civil buildings in the city as well as an example of fundamental importance within the Andalusian domestic mannerism.
C. Infante Don Fernando, 53, 29200 Antequera, Malaga
This arena was built by the Society of the Plaza de Toros de Antequera, a society formed by amateur citizens who longed to have a permanent structure for the Fiesta until then held in public squares arranged with tablados and talanqueras. In 1847 the land was acquired and the works began under the direction of Manuel García del Alamo continuing them Rafael Mitjana, author of the Plaza de Toros Vieja de Málaga.
Paseo María Cristina, s/n, 29200 Antequera, Malaga
The building known in Antequera as House-Museum or House of the Colarte, corresponds to a building of singular neo-Islamic style of the eighteenth century, with façade to Diego Ponce street and entrance by Maderuelos street, dedicated to museum space and residence of illustrious visitors of the Provincial Council.
When the order of the Hospitaller Fathers of San Juan de Dios arrived in Antequera, in the second half of the seventeenth century, the works of the church that bears his name began and that would last until the end of the eighteenth century.
C. Infante Don Fernando, 65, 29200 Antequera, Malaga
The Museum of the City of Antequera has its origin in the ‘Municipal Archaeological Museum’ that in 1908, by agreement of the City Council, created the archaeologist D. Rodrigo Amador de los Ríos. Its first installation was made in one of the lower corridors of the Municipal Palace, where over more than fifty years an important collection of pieces of historical value was gathered, most of them from Roman times.
Palacio de Nájera Plaza del Coso Viejo, 29200 Antequera, Malaga
The Conventual Museum of the Descalzas de Antequera, inaugurated on October 16, 1999, preserves and exhibits one of the most beautiful artistic treasures of the city of Antequera. Its permanent collection consists of an important number of artistic pieces of the highest level that the community of Carmelite mothers has been able to preserve through the centuries and that is now exhibited for the enjoyment of those who visit this institution.
The Museum of Art of the Diputación, hereinafter MAD, is located in the House Museum of Los Colarte, located in the city of Antequera, forms a unique location to house the artistic pieces that make up the collection that, for years, the Provincial Council of Malaga has been acquiring, works that are currently preserved in different buildings in the city of Malaga and some towns in the province.
The church dedicated to Our Lady of Loreto began to be built in 1693, by order of the Jesuits, to whom also belonged the school that stands next to it. The building as a whole is popularly known by the name of “Las Recoletas”, due to the Augustinian Recollects, who were housed in it after its abandonment by the Jesuits.
The Plaza del Portichuelo is, without any doubt, one of the most interesting sets of Andalusian traditional urbanism, highlighting as an element of maximum singularity the Chapel-Tribune of the Virgen del Socorro, built in 1715.
The Dolmens of Antequera Archaeological Ensemble is a cultural property, consisting of five monuments, three cultural and two natural, located in the municipality of Antequera in the province of Malaga. Undoubtedly, one of the great attractions of the province of Malaga.
The Discalced Carmelites of Santa Teresa founded a house and convent in Antequera in 1632, although the current church was built between 1707 and 1734. Of the whole exterior, the little door of the foundation’s rule of time and, of course, the wonderful baroque façade of the church, attributed to Tomás de Melgarejo, stand out. This façade responds to the Carmelite compositional scheme, although it also results from a remarkable paganism in its iconographic programs not in accordance with the spirit and rule of the Order.
This convent belonged to the Discalced Carmelites until the nineteenth century, when it became occupied by the Poor Clare Sisters, who still reside in it as cloistered nuns and are dedicated to some crafts, including the elaboration of mantecados and sweets in general. This temple that we can admire today was already being built in 1628 by the Portuguese Gonzalo Yáñez, and has a sober façade, carved in stone and brick combined.
The church of Santiago was erected as a simple hermitage in 1519, and since 1822 it has been a parish church. The temple that has come to us must be from the mid-eighteenth century, and may be the work of the master builder Cristóbal García.
Almost hanging on an escarpment, as if watching from its height the river of the Villa, stands the magnificent exconventual temple of the Carmelitas Calzados, which today serves as the headquarters of the old parish of Santa María la Mayor. The works of this temple and the disappeared convent seem to have begun in the final years of the sixteenth century.
The first foundation in Antequera of the Third Franciscans was in 1519, in a place known as Las Suertes. There began to be highly venerated the small image of the Virgen de los Remedios who was named Patroness of the city in 1546. As a result of the remoteness of the location of the monastery and the increase in the cult of sculpture, the friars were encouraged to move to Antequera in 1607.
C. Infante Don Fernando, 72, 29200 Antequera, Malaga
The Collegiate Church of San Sebastián is the result of numerous additions and reforms over time. Its construction began in 1548, directing the works the architect Diego de Vergara. The year 1692 was important for this temple since it is the moment in which the Insigne Colegial is moved from Santa María to this church of San Sebastíán, with which it will undergo a great transformation and embellishment.