Discover El Torcal de Antequera
It has been classified as a Natural Site since July 18, 1989, which provides the area with special protection for its important natural values: geomorphology, flora, fauna and landscape. It is located in the central area of the province of Malaga, forming part of the limestone arch of the subbética mountain ranges. It is located almost entirely within the municipality of Antequera, south of our town.
El Torcal encloses in its small extension (11.7 Km2. Within the Paraje) one of the most impressive samples of karst landscape in Europe. Geomorphologically, it comprises four distinct areas: Sierra Pelada, Torcal Alto, Torcal Bajo, Tajos and Vilaneras. The whole set is made up of limestone rocks, all of which originated on the seabed during the Jurassic period, approximately 150 million years ago.
The materials deposited in the sea emerged as a result of the alpine folding. Later, a series of fractures generated cracks and fault systems that have produced what we call alleys or “corridors” today. From this moment the whole is subjected to a process of characteristic erosion, karst modeling, giving rise to a multitude of forms in the rocks, producing a true “museum of natural sculptures” called imitative forms, which have deserved their individualized recognition.
The massif of El Torcal is a geographical area of rich and varied flora. At least 664 species of plants have been found, grouped into almost a hundred families. As for the presence of fauna, on many occasions it has been conditioned to the management of the environment by man. There are many species of invertebrates, mostly insects. Zoological communities lack large predators or large herbivores, being only representative in this sense the fox and the ibex. One of the most notable values of the faunal composition of El Torcal is the richness of birds it supports, either sedentarily or simply as a way station in the migratory routes or as a nesting point. In this sense, the mountain range was declared a Special Area for the Protection of Birds. The reptiles present depend largely on thermal factors, so they are fully active in spring and summer, at which time they can be frequently visualized.
The Natural Park El Torcal de Antequera has an area for public use of El Torcal Alto. In it the visitor can enjoy:
- A Visitor Center with a nature interpretation area, a multipurpose room where a documentary of about 15 minutes is projected, a shop of local and artisanal products, a restaurant with unbeatable views and a homemade meal served in a pleasant and familiar atmosphere. It also has an information point and toilets. The building is perfectly accessible for disabled people.
- The Mirador de las Ventanillas, where following a path you can enjoy beautiful views of Villanueva de la Concepción, the region of the Campanillas River, Malaga, and on clear days, the African continent.
- Itinerary “Green Route”: pedestrian path that starts from the parking lot and runs through El Torcal Alto, presents a low difficulty, with a duration of 45 minutes. It is ideal for making observations on vegetation, geology, erosive formations, livestock action, fauna, and suitable for environmental education activities.
- Itinerary “Yellow Route”: pedestrian path that starts from the parking lot and runs through El Torcal Alto, presents a medium difficulty, with a duration of 2 hours. It is ideal for making observations on vegetation, geology, erosive formations, livestock action, fauna, and suitable for environmental education activities.
- Large capacity parking, allows parking coaches and cars.
Dirección: Calle el Torcal de Antequera, 70, 75, 29200 Antequera, Malaga