The uniqueness of the MVCA lies in the high quality of its collections, in the surprising good state of conservation of its works and in the variety of what has accumulated over the centuries by the old chapters, the ecclesiastical institutions, the archaeological naturalera funds and the acquisitions obtained by those who took over the artistic enrichment of the institution, with the creation in the early twentieth century of the original Municipal Museum.
The Museum of the City of Antequera shows the history of the “Lands of Antequera” in a general, complete, chronological and illustrated way with the selection of its most representative archaeological, historical and artistic remains.
These are the different thematic areas that are part of its permanent collection:
- Material culture of Prehistory and Protohistory, with special dedication to Megalithism and the Chalcolithic period.
- Funerary rites of Roman times. Daily life and sculptural repertoire of Roman villas.
- The Ephebe of Antequera.
- The Roman Epigraphic Collection.
- Paleochristian, Visigothic and medieval manifestations.
- The transition from the medieval village to a Renaissance city.
The sculpture of Pedro de Mena
- The work of the painter Antonio Mohedano.
- The Ornaments of the cult. Textiles and embroidery of the XVI-XVII centuries.
- The iconography of Baroque devotions.
- The silverware of the XV-XVIII centuries.
- The Marian joyels.
- Baroque painting and sculpture. Pedro A. Bocanegra and Juan Correa.
The painting and sculpture of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries
- The work of José María Fernández.
- The work of Cristóbal Toral.
In addition to the permanent exhibitions, it has cultural activities and workshops that make it a reference for all the inhabitants of Antequera and its visitors.
360º IMMERSIVE ROOM
The MVCA, aware that the so-called new technologies are part of our daily reality, offers its visitors a unique heritage experience through an innovative 360º Immersive Room. From the month of April all the people who come to our museum will be able to experience the sensation of “Correr las Vegas” of Holy Week in Antequera. An opportunity that allows to give accessibility to this experience to people with disabilities, children and the elderly at any time of the year.
New museographic contents are already being developed for this project, such as a historical recreation of a funeral ritual inside the Dolmen of Menga in the middle of the summer solstice, the experience of the visit to the Caminito del Rey or a hiking route in the heart of the Torcal de Antequera.
The visit to the Immersive Room is included in the price of the entrance to the MVCA, prior reservation is recommended to the Tel: 952 708 300.
Dirección: Palacio de Nájera Plaza del Coso Viejo, 29200 Antequera, Malaga
Teléfono: 952 70 83 00
Sitio web: https://museoantequera.wordpress.com/