The city of Antequera stands out for being one of the most architecturally rich in Spain.
Santa Eufemia Convent
This monastery of Minim Sisters was founded, consecrated to Saint Euphemia, patron saint of the city, as chosen by the then City Council on September 16, 1410. The current church was built between 1739 and 1763, designed and begun by the master Cristóbal García. Externally it presents a graceful play of volumes and roofs.
This building belonged to the Minim friars of San Francisco de Paula, who abandoned it after the Confiscation, currently occupying the whole the Congregation of Tertiary Religious, founded by the Antequera Mother Carmen del Niño Jesús.
The Catholic Monarchs, by Royal Decree given in Granada on September 18, 1500, granted license to the city to cede land to the Observant Franciscans, to found the monastery of San Zoilo and the orchard.
The old convent of Santa Clara de la Paz was founded by the Franciscan Poor Clare nuns in 1603, although the works of the current church did not begin until 1633 according to a project by the architect Fernando de Oviedo.
The Conventual Museum of the Descalzas de Antequera, inaugurated on October 16, 1999, preserves and exhibits one of the most beautiful artistic treasures of the city of Antequera. Its permanent collection consists of an important number of artistic pieces of the highest level that the community of Carmelite mothers has been able to preserve through the centuries and that is now exhibited for the enjoyment of those who visit this institution.
It is the first of the Capuchin convents built in Andalusia. Its foundation dates back to 1613 and then belonged to the Province of Castile. It will be the first convent to be recovered and restored in Spain after the exclaustration, being its first guardian the V.P. Esteban de Adoáin. It was Seraphic Seminary until the decade of the 70s of the last century.
This convent belonged to the Discalced Carmelites until the nineteenth century, when it became occupied by the Poor Clare Sisters, who still reside in it as cloistered nuns and are dedicated to some crafts, including the elaboration of mantecados and sweets in general. This temple that we can admire today was already being built in 1628 by the Portuguese Gonzalo Yáñez, and has a sober façade, carved in stone and brick combined.
The order of the Discalced Trinitarians founded this convent in Antequera on August 2, 1637. The current temple was built between 1672 and 1683, owing the traces to the architect friar of the same order, Fray Pedro del Espíritu Santo. The church model that is followed is the one that derives from the Incarnation of Madrid, the work of Juan Gómez de Mora. The façade is a rectangle framed by two smooth pilasters and crowned by a triangular pediment, articulating the central panel in three horizontal zones and three streets.