Antequera enjoys a strategic position in the province of Malaga that allows it to have a series of spectacular locations. The Valley of Abdalajís, the Arroyo de Las Adelfas, the Torcal and many more.
Church of Our Lady of Loreto
The church dedicated to Our Lady of Loreto began to be built in 1693, by order of the Jesuits, to whom also belonged the school that stands next to it. The building as a whole is popularly known by the name of “Las Recoletas”, due to the Augustinian Recollects, who were housed in it after its abandonment by the Jesuits.
The Discalced Carmelites of Santa Teresa founded a house and convent in Antequera in 1632, although the current church was built between 1707 and 1734. Of the whole exterior, the little door of the foundation’s rule of time and, of course, the wonderful baroque façade of the church, attributed to Tomás de Melgarejo, stand out. This façade responds to the Carmelite compositional scheme, although it also results from a remarkable paganism in its iconographic programs not in accordance with the spirit and rule of the Order.
This convent belonged to the Discalced Carmelites until the nineteenth century, when it became occupied by the Poor Clare Sisters, who still reside in it as cloistered nuns and are dedicated to some crafts, including the elaboration of mantecados and sweets in general. This temple that we can admire today was already being built in 1628 by the Portuguese Gonzalo Yáñez, and has a sober façade, carved in stone and brick combined.