If you wish, you can view this point in Google Earth. Antequera Town Hall Tourism Department. The importance of this building lies in being the first one in Renaissance style in Andalucia. It is indeed an exceptional work due to the size and the quality of the design. Here we can find two coexisting styles: on the one hand, there are elements which remind us the late Gothic, and on the other hand, the traces and some decorative elements are already from the new style which had arisen in Italy. The construction could be dated between 1514-1550. It was founded by the initiative of the Málaga Bishop, Diego Ramirez de Villaescusa. Many ashlars from the Roman town of Singilia were used to construct the temple. At the beginning, the temple was designed following the Gothic model, as we can see in the East-end; however, the works were finished in the purest Renaissance style. The façade of Santa María Church is impressive; without doubt the most monumental of the Antequera churches. It is completely made with ashlars, with three vertical sections separated by buttresses. Each of the sections has got a door, being the central one larger than the lateral ones. In the attic there is a typical Renaissance blind balustrade. If we analyze in detail each of the elements, we will see as they try to follow a new style by serving all ties with Gothic. Perhaps the most peculiar elements are the fluted conical pinnacles. The façade ornamentation is located mainly in the three large niches which have got a geometric decorative design with some Mannerist elements.Currently, there are not any ornamental elements or reredos inside the temple, as the church is not open for worship but used to host cultural activities, including concerts and exhibitions. The interior is a splendid column basilica hall space where the three naves are separated from each other by massive Ionic columns which support five half-barrel arches on each side decorated with balls or pearls. In order to get a greater height in the central nave, a discharging arch was constructed, as a faux blind Triforium. It is in the covering where we realize the distance from the Renaissance style.The High Chapel has a very deep rectangular floor plan covered with Gothic-Mudejar style vaults which outlines two large stars with six and eight points. The elegant Florentine-style windows give the light and brightness to the chapel and emphasize the Italian style in the interior. The rest of the chapels opened to the lateral naves and separated from each other and they are from different periods and of different kind. It is also noteworthy the three Mudejar coffered ceilings of the naves which were built before the mid-16th century. The central one has rectangular-shaped floor plan with the gables and collar ties decorated with a complex bow decoration based on stars of several sizes. The coffered ceilings of the lateral naves are octagonal with similar design to the central one.
Plaza de Santa María
951 70 07 37