Enlarge or download
- Mozarabic Culture Interpretation Centre. It is placed in the high suburb of the Ville. Here you will discover how the living together between Christians and Arabs was before the expansion of Christianity since the 15th century. The informative panels about the Mozarabic age and its influence over the North area of the Málaga province show us how Archidona was at the height of its splendour when became the capital of the territorial demarcation, Cora de Rayya, until the 10th century when gave up its capital status to Málaga. It was in the Archidona citadel where Abd Al Rahman I was proclaimed the first independent Emir of Al-Ándalus in the year 756 AD and Washington Irvin, in his “The Moors and the Alhambra” book, tells the story of the treasure buried under the castle by the Archidona Muslin King.
- Virgen de Gracia Sanctuary. It is located in a strategic place under the shelter of three mountain ranges, Sierra de Gracia, Sierra del Conjuro and Sierra de las Grajas, dominating a wide territory which includes 6 out of the 8 provinces of Andalucía. Next to the Sanctuary you will find the Mosque from the 9 century: the only one of that time preserved in the Málaga province. It became a Christian temple after the conquest in 1.4462 and it is part of the current architecture of the Virgen de Gracia Sanctuary.
- Puerta de la Ciudad (The Villa Gate). The fortified enclosure of the Archidona Arabic town is one of the most interesting spaces in the Muslim Spain and it has been declared as BIC (Asset of Cultural Interest). The Puerta de la Ciudad together with the Puerta del Sol (The Sun Gate) are towers which give access to the Arabic fortress and, together with the steep cliff, they turn the town in an inaccessible place with an unbeatable strategic-defensive conditions for that time. According to archaeologists, the placing of the houses and streets of this Arabic square would form the most similar space to a tale or legend town. ..
- Santo Cristo (Saint Christ). Placed in the Sierra de Gracia mountain range is a witness of the history and legend breathed in each of its corners. In this viewpoint, travellers will feel taken to the Archidona Arabic time, between the 8-15th centuries, when the legend of the Lovers’ Rock took place. At the height of the Santo Cristo Viewpoint was the third ring of the wall which defended the Archidona Arab people, the Medina Arxiduna.
- Parroquia de Santa Ana (Saint Ana Parish). One of the main constructions of the monumental heritage of the Archidona town declared Historical-Artistic Complex in 1980. This was the first religious building for Christian worship after the Arabs took Archidona.
- Escuelas Pías (Pious Schools). This is a high standing school for educational and religious training with a unique cultural level. It is one of the main educative models in Andalucía where the children of the nobles and rich families of the whole Andalucía and part of Extremadura used to study. Among them, Blas Infante, the father of the Andalucía Nation who, from the school attic, surrounded by the views of the Archidona lowland, the Lovers’ Rock and the “Saint God” religious singing filling the space every day, created the lyrics of the Andalucía anthem. Inside the school, the high domes and the staircases still keep the charm and longing of those glorious years.
- Santo Domingo Hotel School Convent. During the Modern Age, several religious orders settled down in Archidona, being the most important one the Preacher Fathers of the Dominic Order. Throughout centuries, the convent has performed different functions: convent for the Dominic Brothers, soap factory, again a convent for Dominic Sisters and, currently, a hotel school and a 4 start hotel.
- Don Juan “La Era” Mill. It is placed in the fairgrounds named Molino Don Juan. There it is celebrated the Royal Fair in August and the Dog Fair, which has been declared as of National Touristic Interest and of Touristic Singularity in the Málaga province. This is a national event and one of the most important shows in Spain related to the world of dogs and hunting. In addition, it counts on a municipal auditorium for 1300 people where concerts and cultural events take place.