Tourist Department of the Antequera Town. The building works project was commissioned to the well-known architects Antonio Sánchez Esteve and Daniel Rubio who, at the beginning of 1933, gave form to the building. The construction started at the end of the month of April 1993. The building contractor was a company of Puente Genil (Córdoba) which was directed by Salvador Rey Luque. They will be the ones to give form to Sánchez Esteve and Rubio’s design. In principle, the costs for the building works amounted to 160,305 pesetas and 47 cents. To that amount, it has to be added all the costs for the whole building refurbishment -heating, seats, electrical installations, stage, curtains, decoration, cinema equipments and sound systems-.
The final result is a building which can be perfectly classified within the Art Deco style where it stands out the many angular forms, market symmetry, constant regular distribution of spaces and parallel sides which leave no room for doubt about it style. In that sense, it could be considered as an example.
It is classified within the Rationalist architecture movement of Andalucía. Such movement reached its peak in our community during the 30s by constructing buildings with these characteristics everywhere, even, in some cases, inundating the traditional urban landscape.
As regards the interior finishing, quite detailed, it must be emphasized that the basis of this decoration was inside the auditorium, in the indirect lighting with change of colours which provided suggestive and surprising combinations. The niches with stylized cactus placed on both sides of the stage, over the exit doors, were considered at that time as very original elements.
A line of light which surrounded the proscenium arch which was also provided with an electric battery to create the necessary conditions for the stage designs and theatre shows. The auditorium lacks of any kind of column which might prevent the right sight of the stage. In addition, to improve the sight, the floor is a little bit leaning. The capacity was for 800 seats.
The building consists of a general stalls and an amphitheatre for business-class seats which, in addition, were upholstered.
Also, the building was provided with two American-style bars decorated in accordance with the rest of the building. There were cloakrooms, washing basins and toilets with the most modern hygienic features. It is worthy to note that, in that time, many houses of Antequera lacked of this basic service or it was shared by several families.
There was a heating system in the whole building and several administrative offices. Finally, the screening material was a Klangfilm machine, double, with A.E.G. projectors and the appropriate sound equipment. The first screening was the 21st of January 1934 and the official opening was with the “King of the Jungle” by Paramount.