This little square was constructed several years after the San Zoilo Royal Monastery was founded in 1500. The floor plan was never a regular one but all the opposite: it is a huge trapezium where an angle formed by the Toril and Duranes streets goes into. Until 1861, the connection with Calzada street was much narrower, as in that date the area was taken up by the so-called Miradores de Fiestas (Festivities Viewpoints) from which the People and the local nobility watched all kind of shows, since a bullfight to public executions.

The construction of the Public Market prevented the Coso de San Francisco little square from becoming the big main square of our town.