Antequera Town Hall Tourism Department. The San Juan church was finished in 1584. Probably it is a work by the same architect who designed the Homage Tower’s bell-shrine (Templete de Papabellotas) in the Antequera citadel (Alcazaba). From the exterior, it only stands out the front foot and the three lateral naves fronts. Unfortunately, the ground elevation gives a negative aspect to the exterior as the fronts are half-buried. However, the inside of the church is really solemn. It has got a basilica floor plan, like all the column churches in Antequera, based on the Collegiate model. The San Juan church has got an imposing hall where the three naves are separated by big Tuscan columns supporting a set of three half-barrel arches on each side. The central nave is covered with a wooden framework in a Mudejar and Renaissance hybrid style. It has got an octagonal floor plan and it is not decorated with bows. The lateral frameworks are cantilevered elements without much interest. The shallow High Chapel is preceded by Tuscan pilasters and half-barrel triumph arch. There, we can admire a beautiful Mannerist reredos made in 1649 by the master Toribio Sánchez Calvo with a very elegant and simple trace thought to frame a series of large size pictorial collection from different origin. We must emphasize two large pictorial compositions, the Adoración de los Pastores (Shepherds Worship) and The Immaculate, by Antonio Mohedano, which are placed in the lateral naves. Even though they are quite good paintings, it is to be lamented the inexpert repaints added in different periods. Among the chapels, it stands out the one dedicated to the Ánimas (Souls), which was completely renewed in the late of the 18th century. It belongs to the Royal Brotherhood of the Santísimo Cristo de la Salud y las Aguas (Sanctisy Christ of Health and Water). The Titular image of the Crucified is a work made in the early of the 17th century. In this Souls Chapel there are two lateral reredos of the 18th century with sculptures of the Virgin of Rosary and of Saint Joseph. The chapel’s main reredos, dated in 1785, seems to have been made by Antonio Palomo. We should not forget the Mannerist wooden balustrade in the choir and that in the organ soundbox.