Antequera Town Hall Tourism Department. The Municipal Depot (El Pósito) was the wheat warehouse used by the Town Hall when trying to guarantee the normal supply of grain to the population. The building could be dated around the 17th century, although it has undergone many transformations and additions. The oldest space is the large nave or main block forming the largest volume and which is located in the corner of Nájera street and Barbacanas slope. It is a very compact piece, with very few vanes and crowned by a steep slope Arab tile roof. As a peculiar element, it stands out the sandstone front with a basket-handle arch where we can see the three elements of the Antequera’s coat of arms. On the side of Nájera street, it stands out the skirting board formed by several lines of strong ashlar masonry made in red limestone from El Torcal. The so-called “House of the Majordomo” located at the end of the Barbacanas slope, on the left, has a concrete brick façade that could be dated in the first quarter of the 18th century. The interior has suffered significant changes as some of the elements were in ruins. The most interesting architectural space is that called “Panera” (bread bin) which was erected by the principal master builder of the town, Martin de Bogas, in 1773. It is a large rectangular floor room covered with a half-barrel vault divided into eight stretches by simple transverse arches supported by pilasters. Another singular and interesting historical element is the safe box or chest, made in 1770, with large ashlars of red limestone and two doors, a metal one and a wood one. It is located in the center of the House of the Majordome and it is the sole central support of the high flooring new structure which is made of laminate wood.
Cuesta Barbacanas, s/n