Antequera Town Hall Tourism Department . The Third Franciscans founded their first temple in Antequera in 1519, in a site on the outskirts of Antequera known as “Las Suertes”. There, the people used to go to venerate the small image of the Virgin of Los Remedios (Remedy) who, in 1546, was appointed as the Patron Saint of the town. As the sculpture worship was increasing more and more, in 1607 the friars decided to establish themselves in the town. The building works for the present Los Remedios Church started in 1628, by the architects Gonzalo Yáñez and Fernando de Oviedo. The first one directed the construction of the temple walls up to the roof height. The second one, Fernando de Oviedo, was in charge of the interior architectural molding and the covers. The façade setting is quite original as it is preceded by a wall closing the portico, what implies a clear Mannerist character. The façade itself is quite simple, being the outstanding element a loggia or portico whose small roof is supported by Tuscan columns through three semicircular arches. The magnificent belfry, completely made of stone, was erected by the master stonemason Pedro de Arévalo.
The church has a Latin cross floor plan, with naves, lateral chapels and flat East-end. The central nave, higher than the lateral ones, is covered with a barrel vault divided into five sections. The semicircular transept dome is crowned by a cupola. The whole temple is covered by temperas. The transept iconography is related to passages of the life of the Virgin, Saint Antonio and Saint José. The High Altarpiece, one of the most beautiful in Antequera, was made in the first quarter of the 18th century by the Antequera stucco-worker and engraver, Antonio Rivera. Behind the altarpiece it is the magnificent niche room of the Virgin of Los Remedios, made between 1700 and 1707, in hexagonal plan and covered with a semispherical vault on pendentives. A cupola crowns this space which makes a profuse use of the plasterworks. In the center of the mentioned niche it is the crowned shrine or the Virgin’s throne. The Saint Patron’s sculpture is of early of the16th century, although it underwent a deep transformation in 1816 by the Antequera sculptor, Miguel Márquez García. It was crowned as Perpetual Mayoress of the town. In the transept lateral reredos, we can see the Saint José and Saint Antonio sculptures, by Andrés de Carvajal. Another very interesting work by this author is the sculptural group called Virgin of the Angels, which is located in the front reredos to the sacristy door. Among the chapels of the Gospel nave it is worth noting the Rococo niche room occupied by the Virgin of the Tránsito (Passing). In the Epistle nave, we should stop before the Cristo de las Suertes, a 16th century work. There, it is also a big painting which depicts the scene when Santiago apostle gives the image of the Virgin of Los Remedios to Fray Martín de las Cruces.